Golf Rory McIlroy Says He’s Limiting Social Media Interaction after Spat with Steve Elkington By Amelia Brathwaite Posted on July 14, 2017 3 min read 0 0 119 Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on Reddit Share on Pinterest Share on Linkedin Share on Tumblr Rory Mcllroy, currently ranked at number 4 in the world rating, decided to call it quits from social media platforms for a bit, after retaliated to a tweet from fellow pro golfer Steve Elkington, when he questioned Mcllroy’s yearning to play golf, when the 28 years old missed the cut for the U.S Open tournament for the second time in two years. Elkington tweeted saying that Mcllroy after winning four majors and with 100 million in the bank was becoming bored playing with Tiger Woods. Twitter Spat Mcllroy, responded to the tweet saying, more like 200 million, not bad for a bored 28 years old, along with screenshots of his accomplishments. Later, he stated admittedly that he was sorry for the retaliation, saying “I sort of regret sending it at the end but I actually gave my wife, Erica, my phone and my Twitter and told her, ‘Change my password to something else and don’t tell me what it is’. “So as of the time being, I’m off social media just because of that reason. I don’t need to read it. It’s stuff that shouldn’t get to you and sometimes it does.” At an event to benefit his foundation, Mcllroy said that he would normally ignore such criticism, but it’s not what was said, but more to who said it. If it was just a media personnel or just someone from Joe Public but to read a statement like that from someone who should know better, who understands the game, a former player, that irritated him and hence why he responded like he did. The Northern Irishman believes that his opportunities are close, after returning fit from injuries earlier this year, he is set to play at a familiar winning course , namely Quail Hollow, he won twice there and Birkdale, where is he confident of his changes.